Troubleshooting An AC Unit Not Working
If you think your air conditioner is not working
- 1st check to make sure the thermostat is set to “Cool”
- Check the main electrical panel and any secondary circuit panels for a tripped breaker or blown fuse.
If that is the case restart the breaker or replace
- Check the thermostat is set to COOL. The temperature has to be 3 degrees below ambient room temperature.
- Make sure the electricity is on. Check the switch in the furnace or air handler, and the outdoor condenser.
- While the system is off, remove the thermostat’s cover, then remove the body from the base and replace the batteries.
- ensure all wires securely attach to their terminals.
- Replace the cover and wait 3 minutes, then restart the system.
- If the AC system won’t start, check the compressor’s capacitor and wires, they could possibly be the cause.